September 14th, 2017 Meeting Minutes

Location: CCIS 4th Floor

September 14th 8:00 am - 9:15 am

 

In Attendance:

  • Cooper Csorba

  • Kaelin Koufogiannakis

  • Jordan Riemer

  • Jacqueline Johnston

  • Hamza Farooqui

 

Excused Absence:

  • Logan Fechter

  • Hayley Wasylycia

 

1. Call to order at 8:17 by Cooper

2. Additions/deletions to agenda

3. Approval of last meeting’s minutes

1. Approved by Jacqueline

4. Approval of agenda

1. Approved by Jacqueline

5. HL and C’s (High’s Low’s and Comments)

 

Executive Reports and Questions

  1. Cooper

    1. First Committee Meeting (Sept. 28)

      1. Soft deadline to join Sept. 28

      2. Planning Studio as the ideal location for the first committee meeting?

        1. Cooper to book this location

      3. Structure

        1. 5 minute presentation is given regarding the short history of GAPSS, and projects pursued in the last 2 years

        2. 30 mins are team building activities (as a big group) - Jacqueline and Hamza to lead

        3. separate into committees and talk about preliminary ideas, thoughts, and logistics (time to meet) - committee chairs plan this section

          1. Write out your plan for the first committee meeting by Sept. 26

          2. Be clear how any positions in the committees are selected

      4. Hayley to propose location/time/date for the committee social at the meeting.

      5. Applications

        1. Criteria: preference, experience

        2. all exec involved in selection process

        3. 5-6 people per committee

        4. Skype call following the AGM to do this

        5. Kaelin to formalize the choices onto a spreadsheet by Sept. 26

        6. applicants applying closer to the 28th are slotted in based on preference, and current ratio between committees

        7. if too many applications, general volunteer list - on call list with volunteer applications or for later open spots on committees

    2. Cooper to take action with constitutional changes. To update Kaelin after meeting.

    3. Marketing thoughts?

      1. For next year, having handouts would be ideal for class talks

      2. Tabling was not particularly worth it - rethink for next year

      3. Bimonthly meetings with Bob and Sandeep

        1. Cooper to send poll to see what works

    4. AGM

      1. Structure:

        1. Set up takes place early   4:30pm

        2. Students arrive around   5:30pm.

        3. Faculty address  6:00pm.

        4. GAPSS address  6:15pm

          1. Cooper to come up with thorough outline for the GAPSS Address for Sept. 16

          2. Who gapss is (exec intro) - what we've done in the last year - Website/Calendar update - committees (executive sales pitch on committee and explain their vision, positions open) - constitution changes - budget update - VOTE

        5. Remaining activities  6: 35pm

          1. ALL to become familiar to the outline, and prepare for portions by Thursday. Any suggestions/changes made to the outline to be made by Tuesday

  2. Kaelin

    1. Constitutional Amendments process

      1. elections process needs changing

      2. journal committee addition

    2. Reports - 48 hours works, everyone keep trying to get them in on time

  3. Jacqueline

    1. From now on before money is spent we need to discuss as group first or at least discuss budget and what we as a student group can/can’t afford. It’s a good policy to have to insure that we don’t overspend.

      1. includes Slack message with thumbs up

  4. Hayley

    1. AGM Document and Tasking

      1. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bxo6vLVKhJyLZjROUzZ1dHVYMmc \

      2. good prices at Long n McQuade

      3. buy food day of in case of weather issues

      4. order submitted to reusable dish program

        1. Kaelin and Hayley to pick up dishes 4pm

      5. Jacqueline to buy food and bring salad

      6. Cooper to bring banner and posters

      7. Jacqueline and Jordan to bring garbage bag stands

      8. Jordan to bring folding chairs

      9. Everyone bring blankets and frisbees (Jacqueline and Hamza)

      10. Cooper and Kaelin to bring BBQ from fraternity around 5pm

      11. Cooper to look into propane and food permitting

      12. Jacqueline to bring extra propane and fire extinguisher

      13. print off 20-25 handouts for GAPSS address

      14. Kaelin to find donation jar

      15. Kaelin to look into selling leftover journals

      16. laptops for committee signup, newsletter signup, calendar laptop

      17. Jacqueline to make “Sign up here” sign

      18. Hayley to look into free table rental from ISSS or SU

      19. Hayley to pick up Long n McQuade equipment and Jordan to set up

      20. Hayley to mock up draft speaking invitation and Hamza to send out

      21. Cooper to look into getting whiteboard

      22. studio booked as backup and BBQ could happen out in the rain, bringing food in

      23. estimating 30-40 people for purchasing food

      24. during event duties:

        1. Jacqueline, Hayley, and Cooper BBQing

        2. Jordan taking photos

    2. Events planning throughout the year - document in same folder as AGM

  5. Hamza

    1. Website is basically done

      1. Photos from AGM to be incorporated - more friendly, less formal

      2. Added a Confirmation section on the Calendar Request Form

    2. Mailing list for HGP professors on Google Drive - to be continually populated and edited. Can share with department as they don’t have an existing list document.

    3. Jordan blog: first writer in residence starting in October

    4. Photo Contest: Jordan starting soon

    5. Listservs and MailChimp - not too hard to use, Hamza moving forward with that

    6. Alumni Mailing List - must be on a signup basis - promote it in the alumni channel

    7. SDA AGM - connections made with SDA and they gave us a shoutout

    8. HGeo turnout for AGM - How has it historically been?

      1. seems more Planning students get involved than HGeo

      2. should talk to department about getting HGeo students more involved

    9. BearsDen status has been resolved - everyone go into settings to check BearsDen signup

  6. Jordan

    1. Video Draft shared - take a look!

    2. Blog template will be up before October, Jordan will be first writer

    3. Name for blog - think about

    4. Working on infographics for website - ie FAQs

  7. Action Items for ALL (Cooper, Kaelin, Jacqueline, Hamza, Jordan, Logan, Hayley)

    1. Become familiar with the AGM outline, and prepare for portions by Thursday. Any suggestions/changes made to the outline to be made by Tuesday

    2. Write out your plan for the first committee meeting by Sept. 26

    3. Check BearsDen signup

    4. Think about blog name for Jordan

    5. Put idea events into Hayley’s documents

 

6. Adjournment by Cooper at 9:20am

7. Next Meeting: September 28, 8:00am