August 29th, 2017 Meeting Minutes

Location: Jordan’s studio

6:00 pm - 7:30 pm

 

In Attendance:

  • Cooper Csorba

  • Kaelin Koufogiannakis

  • Hayley Wasylycia

  • Jordan Riemer

  • Jacqueline Johnston

  • Hamza Farooqui

 

Excused Absence:

  • Logan Fechter

 

1. Call to order at 6:23 by Cooper

2. Additions/deletions to agenda

3. Approval of last meeting’s minutes

1. Approved by Jacqueline

4. Approval of agenda

1. Approved by Hamza

5. HL and C’s (High’s Low’s and Comments)

 

EXECUTIVE REPORTS AND QUESTIONS

  1. Cooper (175 mins)

    1. Bi-weekly executive meetings over fall semester will be Thursdays 8:00am - 9:15am.

    2. Cooper will be attending a number of other student group events (mainly social sciences) over fall. He'll let you know which ones he's attending, and encourages you to join. Good for networking!

    3. Clubs Fair

      1. Tabling Tuesday and Wednesday, check if the times that aren’t occupied

      2. We will approach committee members if the spots aren’t filled

      3. Cooper will make handbills

      4. We are not allowed to solicit

    4. Class talks are coming up (September 11-15)

      1. 250, 240 and 100 are considerably the biggest classes.

        1. We could do a giveaway of the hoodies for these classes - survey with incentive

      2. Schedule can be created for presentations - pairs for bigger classes.

      3. Cooper will prepare mock script

    5. Committee formation

      1. Applications opening for clubs fair and closing for September 30.

      2. First committee meeting will be September 28 5:30-7:30

      3. Committee social will be discussed later

    6. Listserv

      1. Goes out on the 5th

      2. Information that we exist and AGM information

    7. Everyone's availability sheets up to date

    8. Committee applications completely edited

    9. PS Warren communication in the works about the room and fish

  2. Kaelin (10 mins)

    1. Newsletter for profs

      1. Sent out from the gapss email and cc all

      2. Hamza to contact profs this week

      3. Cooper change the blurb to have slides at end of class

    2. Creating alumni version of the newsletter.

    3. Slack notifications

      1. Lean towards email at this time since Slack is having some issues

      2. If we need the discussion platform we can email to say the discussion will happen over Slack

  3. Hamza (

    1. Still working on write up for grad students

    2. Request for website content

      1. Website up by Monday

      2. Tabs

        1. Home page

          1. what is GAPSS blurb - Cooper edit

        2. Resource tab - Logan and Jordan1 by Friday (Sept. 1)

          1. faculty showcase

          2. contrast between HGeo and Planning

          3. links

        3. Executive team tab

        4. Committee sign up tab

        5. Journal tab

        6. Events tab - Hayley

        7. Calendar subscription widget with email addition

          1. folder with those in Google drive, manually add them

          2. in presentations we can tell people to go to the website

        8. Contact us tab

      3. Meeting minutes will be put as well

      4. Image banners - Jordan

  4. Jordan

    1. Student Advocacy

      1. hard to create an advocacy group without turning into a venting corner

      2. find a stable time of year - pre midterms, a few weeks into classes

        1. class talks with survey to find trends and big issues and create roundtable talk based on that

      3. feedback as well after co-op/field school for info related to those

      4. email with the link, not just in-class surveying

      5. talk with faculty about the questions we’re asking, etc.

      6. October’s newsletter with a blurb on this

    2. Logan and Jordan talked about the academic committee structure

      1. Biweekly 1 hour meeting

      2. Optional social time after

    3. GAPSS Blog - A website asset, student engagement powerhouse

      1. resident writers (two-week term)

      2. way for people to engage in what they’re learning

      3. host it on the Squarespace site and it’ll help out SEO

      4. committee member would be in charge of it to find resident writer, edit

    4. Photo Contest

      1. ready to go, poster will be put together

      2. first one for the end of October, advertised at AGM

      3. committee member in charge of this

    5. Lunch ‘n learns

      1. talks with important people from the Planning world - industry, etc.

      2. open to everyone

      3. 11-12 or 12-1, etc.

      4. someone from Brookfield residential wants to speak

 

6. Adjournment by Cooper at 7:08

7. Next Meeting: September 14, 8:00am